Thursday, May 26, 2011

Which school is better, New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts or the New York Film Academy?


Which school is better, New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts or the New York Film Academy?
I have both schools throwing scholarship money at me to attend their school over the other. I am receiving much more money from the New York Film Academy but I want to be positive about my choice. I visited both schools and toured them both thoroughly from the classes to the dorms. I just want to know which school is better for me in the long run. They both have quite a long list of big name people who came out of their schools but again, I just want to be sure.
Theater & Acting - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
NYFA SUCKS for acting. They're a film school NOT an acting school. NYCDA is MUCH better. My beef is with year+ conservatories and BFA/MFA programs is this. I believe in being more diverse in my training. The year+ programs can sometimes be like factories where they churn out actors who are taught pretty much the same thing through a structured curriculum. What might work for one person, will NOT work for a different person. Also, a lot of the conservatories and BFA/MFA programs have strict policies such as NOT being able to audition outside of their school or study at other places simultaneously. I think this is limiting to the actor. The actor should have the freedom to audition for outside projects and add to the current curriculum. Diversify your training: Some of the Best Non-Collegiate Schools in LA: Cold Reading/Auditioning -Margie Haber -Annie Grindlay -Brian Reise -Robert D'Avanzo -Amy Lyndon Commercials -Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! -Chris Game -Stuart K. Robinson -Stuart Stone -Killian McHugh -Francine Selkirk-Akerman -Carolyne Barry Improv (All four are great) -Groundlings -Second City -Upright Citizens Brigade -Improv Olympic Scene Study/Acting (It varies. Some schools are not for everyone. Chubbuck, Eric Morris, and Howard Fine are not for people who aren't fans of Strasberg or Uta Hagen (ie. affective memory and substitution.) Playhouse West, Joanne Baron/DW Brown, and Acting Corps are more Meisner oriented. Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not. -Doug Warhit -Stephen Book -Diana Castle -Beverly Hills Playhouse -Howard Fine -Stella Adler -Ivanna Chubbuck -Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown -Tom Todoroff -Playhouse West -Aaron Speiser -Acting Corps -Vinny Guastaferro -Eric Morris Comedy: -Scott Sedita -Lesly Kahn In NY: -William Esper -HB Studios -Stella Adler -T. Schreiber -Weist Baron -Upright Citizens Brigade -Margie Haber -Redwall Productions (Rosalyn Coleman) -Neighborhood Playhouse -Circle in the Square

Popular Posts